Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's been a while....

So it's been a while since I last blogged.  What can I say...when it rains, it pours.  When I started this blog my plate was maybe a quarter full.  Now....even though it is not nearly full.... it is substantially fuller then it was when I started.  Speaking of raining....It looked like this today...






Not only was it raining...it was sleeting.  It's almost April in case you were wondering.

I decided to make one of my all time favorite "gross disgusting cold rainy/sleeting day" meals.  Chicken Pot Pie!  I've tried several recipes and created my own recipe from those.....here it is.....

1.   Chop up 2 pieces of celery, 2 carrots, and 1/2 onion.  Throw into a pot coated with olive oil and cook on medium heat until soft.


To slice up the celery and carrots, I use my hand held slicer.  I bought it from Home Goods and it has changed my life.  I think it was a whopping $3.00.  If you see one...buy it.  You won't regret it.


2. Add 2 tablespoons all purpose flour.



3.  Stir and let simmer for about a minute.  It will become very thick and pasty.  After stirring, add frozen peas (quantity based on how much you like peas).


4.  Add half a box of Swanson's chicken stock (it's sooooo good!)



5.  Let simmer for a few minutes.  If it's too thin, add a mixture of cornstarch and chicken stock. During this stage, add shredded chicken (not pictured...sorry...).   After letting it simmer for a few minutes, pour mixture into a pie dish.


6.  Cover pie dish with refrigerated pie crust.  I used Pillsbury because it was on sale....and also because it's delicious.



7.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until pie crust is golden brown.


8.  Refrain from eating right out of the oven because this stuff is HOT!  Let sit for a few minutes and then enjoy!!!!!



~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment