Monday, February 14, 2011

Crafty

In high school and college I was never a crafty person.  Despite my efforts, my art projects leaned towards the "my 6 year old would have been proud of this."  When kids cut out beautiful snowflakes in middle school, I ended up with a heap of tissue scraps because I could never cut it right.  I received a C in high school art with comments such as "at least you tried".  I say this to point out that I was not born with the artistic gene.  Recently I have discovered an interest in DIY projects.  I would browse through various blogs, always inspired at the beautiful creations people made from simple things.  I love the idea of taking something simple and transforming it into something beautiful.  This weekend, we, meaning my best friend and I, did just that.  

I love shower curtains.  As weird as that may sound, it's true...I love them.  The patterns, and frills, and designs.  I do not, however, love the prices.  Shower curtains are expensive!!!  When we moved to our apartment, we were on an extremely tight budget and I could not bring myself to pay massive amounts of money on something that is used to block water.  I just couldn't.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought colored shower liners for 6.00.  I have used them ever since.
This weekend we decided to make flowers.  We got the designs from mrspriss.com and oncewed.com.  This is what we made.
I was amazed that I, failure at anything art-related, was able to make pretty decent silk flowers.  The felt flowers were made by my friend and are going to be used to make a beautiful bouquet.  I used my silk flowers to transform my boring shower curtain into this...

I am absolutely not one to brag but I have to say...I'm proud.  Take that high school art teacher!  I plan on making several more and continuing the line of flowers down to the bottom of the shower curtain.  I also have to add...my bathroom has stayed spick and span for...wait for it....5 days now.  Baby steps people...baby steps.  
~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment